Saturday, November 19, 2011

First Attempt at Making a Spanish Omelette

I planned to try making a Spanish Omelette for Saturday breakfast after hearing about it from my Spanish friend Gema.  My first impulse was to add extras to it like green chilies and mozzarella cheese but decided to try the traditional recipe first and go from there.  The recipe is fairly simple requiring only 3 potatoes, 1/2 onion, 4 eggs, olive oil, and salt.  But preparation, cooking the potatoes thoroughly, and "flipping" the omelette take some time and practice.  I couldn't find anything large enough to help "flip" the omelette so I ended up using a round baking stone (see picture below) which was VERY heavy and difficult to maneuver.  I stacked hot pads up to create a soft place on the counter top in case I dropped the stone 8).  I'm already in the doghouse because of breaking one of Laurie's baking stones last month.

The end result was pretty good although I think the potatoes I used were too large and the omelette didn't seem "eggy" enough.  We had the omelette for breakfast with english muffins and everyone really liked it.  There were no leftovers 8)  Here are a few things I would do differently next time:

  • Possibly use a little less potato or add one more egg (I look forward to hearing Gema's opinion of this)
  • Use a smaller frying pan (with a lid) so that the omelette turns out thicker and the sides are cooked better AND so that flipping it is easier
  • Cut the potatoes in smaller pieces and possibly cook them part way through in the microwave (is that heresy?)

I used a small red onion out of our garden

Potatoes and onions ready for sautéing


Olive oil
Make-shift lid

4 eggs beaten


Cooked potatoes and onions mixed with the eggs

Cooking omelette before flipping

After flipping

Final product

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment