Friday, November 11, 2011

Prune Cream Pie Extravaganza

Okay, so I'm a little nutty about prunes.  I don't recall what age I was when our family was introduced to the concept of stewed prunes over biscuits by a neighbor, but the effect it had on our family was profound.  I was crazy about them.  As I recall, everyone in our family loved them.  So, every year in September I pick as many as I can hold in my freezer.  I'm a little careful who I tell about this obsession because, in America, admitting a fondness for prunes can subject you to severe ridicule.  I'm convinced that most American's just don't know how good they are when stewed.  I don't like fresh prunes very much.  I mean they are okay, but tt's when you cook them that they turn a beautiful red, purple color with a sweet, tart flavor that is wonderful (after adding sugar.)

Backing up a bit, I was given a 1952 Betty Crocker cookbook when I went away to college for the first time by my Grandma.  It was a great present which I still have and still use.  Within this cookbook is a recipe for prune cream pie.  I don't remember when I first tried baking a prune cream pie, but it wasn't too long after receiving the cookbook.  I have to admit that I get kind of a sick thrill from watching people's faces when I tell them about prune cream pie.  The name conjures all kinds of images, none of which are very pleasant.  It has been several years since the last time I made prune cream pie and this last year I have really started cooking much more, so I thought it was time to break out the 1952 Betty Crocker cookbook and try the prune cream pie once again.  I changed some of the quantities trying to make it little better the second time.  I felt like it didn't have enough prune flavor.

The crust didn't turnout very well at all.  First it was too dry because I was trying to be so careful to not add too much water.  I had to add water after shaping some which didn't turn out well.  I really need to practice making a crust.


Prune Cream Pie

(Taken from a 1952 Betty Crocker Cookbook)
Delicious and homey-tasting.  This prize-winning recipe was sent to us by a prize home-maker, Mrs. W. K. Robbins of Baytown, Texas.

Make Pastry for One-Crust Pie of desired size.  Line pie pan.


Filling for 9” Pie
Beat Slightly…
3 eggs

Mix together and blend in thoroughly…
4 tbsp Flour
1 cup sugar
½ tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Stir in…
3/4 cup milk (1 cup in original recipe)
1 tsp vanilla
1.75 cups stewed prunes (1.5 cups in original recipe)


Pour into pastry-lined pie pan, distributing prunes evenly.  Bake until a silver knife thrust into side of filling comes out clean.  Cool.  Just before serving, spread with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Temperature: 350° F
Time: Bake 50 to 60 min.


Pie Crust Recipe

Ingredients:

1.25 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cube cold butter
~4 tbsp cold water

Instructions:

  • Mix flour and salt
  • Slice up butter and add to flour mixture
  • Using pastry cutter, cut butter into pea sizes pieces
  • Add a portion of the water and mix/mash using fork
  • Add just enough water to form a ball out of the dough
  • Refrigerate dough for 5-10 minutes
  • Roll dough out from center and place in pie pan

Pickin' Italian Prunes




Quartered and ready to stew


Stewed


Pie Filling ready


My failed attempt at shaping the crust


Ready to cook

Just out of the oven

Ugly crust but it was still delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment